The way to keep hair looking lush is to maintain a healthier scalp, as this is what protects and nourishes the hair follicles. Like any other part of the body, it’s susceptible to aging, which can lead to limp, lifeless hair, as well as thinning and overall hair loss. It has been proven that flaky, itchy scalps can worsen this aging and lead to greater hair loss. Therefore, making sure that you know how to care for your scalp and roots is so important to your overall hair care.
How to Get a Healthier Scalp
When caring for your scalp and managing hair care for your roots, understanding the hair structure is important. The hair bulb is responsible for the formation and colour of hair cells, so keeping these nourished is integral to achieving a healthier scalp. It doesn’t matter whether you have a dry, oily, or ‘normal’ scalp, using active ingredients and treatments can go a long way to keeping your scalp and hair healthy.
One way of introducing these active ingredients is to use exfoliating masks or tonics to help remove any build-up around the hair follicles. These, plus other healthy scalp treatments and products like shampoos and conditioners, work together to enrich and nourish the cells in your scalp to help prevent inflammation, flaking, or itchiness. To boost the effectiveness of these products, the use of massage techniques on the scalp will facilitate better absorption of the nutrients, as it promotes an increased blood flow to the area.
Some ingredients to look out for in treatments and products are retinol, aloe vera, witch hazel and vitamin B5, which are all excellent for strengthening and repairing cells, soothing irritated skin, and preventing dry or itchy scalps. It’s also important to avoid any shampoos or products using sulphates, as these can be harsh on the scalp and undo the effects of treatments.
Tips on a How to Care for Your Scalp
Here are some tips to help you learn how to care for your scalp and roots at home as part of your roots hair care routine.
- Make sure to have a balanced, healthy diet. It’s important to stay healthy on the inside to get the best results on the outside. Make sure to eat enough protein and vitamins to promote healthier scalps.
- Avoid stress as much as possible. Stress can cause issues in the body which can lead to hair loss and limpness.
- Make sure to wash your hair. While this might seem obvious, washing your hair regularly is hugely important to achieving a healthier scalp. Not washing can damage your hair growth and lead to build-up around the root follicles causing inflammation. If your scalp is left in this condition for too long, it can even lead to weaker and thinner hair.
- Be sure not to overdo it with the dry shampoo! It can be great for a quick fix, but if it’s applied directly to the scalp or roots, or not washed out properly, it can cause a range of problems such as inflammation, itchiness and flaking.
- Try and avoid the heat. Things like hot steamy showers or too much blow-drying can cause your skin and hair to dry out. The lack of moisture can lead to problems like hair breakage, redness, and flakiness. Try lowering the water temperature or air-drying to give your hair a break.
- Many of us must tackle scalp conditions like dandruff or dermatitis, which has us looking for effective healthy scalp treatments in creams or lotions. If you are experiencing any symptoms, work with your health care provider to work out the root causes and find the perfect treatment for you, like anti-dandruff shampoos or even anti-fungal creams.
Get Silky Hair and a Healthy Scalp Treatment with Hemisphere Hair
Now you have an idea of how to care for your scalp and roots, take the next step by visiting us at Hemisphere Hair. Make an appointment today with one of our experienced stylists to discuss your hair goals and how we can work together to make these dreams a reality!
In the meantime, why not take a look at our tips on getting shiny hair, or our balayage care tips to get some more inspiration for maintaining a healthier scalp. Get started on your journey to beautiful, healthy hair and contact us at (08) 9271 0067 or book online for your expert consult. We can’t wait to hear from you!